Sightseer

Credit Card should not have so many 0.00 amount transactions every month

The BECU Credit Card we opened in August has posted between 6 and 13 zero amount transactions every month.  We see them as we go through our transactions downloaded into Mint, and it consumes a small but significant amount of time in our categorization review in Mint.

Every month there are a bunch of zero amount routine transactions with these descriptions:

Interest Charge on Cash Advances

DEBIT

MONTHLY PERIODIC RATE   0.000%

***FINANCE CHARGE***

Interest Charge on Purchases

AVERAGE DAILY BALANCE         $0AVERAGE DAILY BALANCE         $0.00

REMAINING PROMOTIONAL BALANCE ISREMAINING PROMOTIONAL BALANCE IS     $2,913.99

***SPECIAL RATE--MERCHANDISE***

THE PROMOTIONAL BALANCE APR ISTHE PROMOTIONAL BALANCE APR IS   0.000%

TOTAL *FINANCE CHARGE*  BILLED ITOTAL *FINANCE CHARGE*  BILLED IN 2017             $0.00

Interest Charge on Cash Advances

It is okay, and might be useful if the amount or the text in the description was not always zero.  But they are tedious to review.  Could we please have it suppress most of them when the amount is zero?  It is not helping.

When we were travelling in England in August, it posted 11 mysterious transactions with descriptions like 

7220 18.95 826 1.3067220 18.95 826 1.306596306

I can guess that it somehow relates to currency exchange rates for purchases, but there is no obvious connection, and I've never seen any other credit card have zero amount transactions like this for ancillary exchange information.

I don't hate these but they are completely mysterious.  They need more explanation if they are actually trying to communicate something useful to us.

Thanks, Robert

1 REPLY 1
Community Manager

Re: Credit Card should not have so many 0.00 amount transactions every month

Hi Robert, this is great feedback, thanks for taking the time to outline it here! I’ve shared your comments with our Visa partners and learned that we’re in the process of restructuring some of the line items you’ve pointed out. The zero dollar international transactions are displayed because BECU does not pass those fees along to our members, and we acknowledge there’s opportunity to clarify what’s being reported. Stay tuned for changes to how these items are listed. I don’t have a timeline on when this will take place, but we’ll be sure to share when we have more details! Thanks for the opportunity to make improvements. JohnS