Why was my card declined when I know I have money in my account? We're glad you asked. Did you know, when you use your debit and/or credit card, several pieces of information are checked within seconds that determine whether or not a transaction is approved?
Here's a checklist that can help you pinpoint why your card was declined.
1. Correct PIN: If the PIN entered doesn’t match the PIN we have on file, the transaction will be declined.
2. Correct Zip Code and/or Card Verification Code (online purchases): If the zip code or card verification code (the three digit code on the back) is entered incorrectly, the transaction will be declined.
3. Amount available: When you make a purchase, money in your account is either debited immediately or placed “on hold” as an authorization.
4. Debit Card Access Limit or VISA Credit Limit has been exceeded: A transaction will be declined if your limit has been exceeded on your Visa. Debit cards will still work if you have an attached Line of Credit (LOC) or savings account linked for overdraft protection.
5. Travel: Are you traveling? Transactions that occur when traveling without adding a Travel Notification are monitored and may be declined for your protection. Be sure to set up a Travel Notification in online banking to minimize the likelihood of your purchase being declined.
6. Unusual activity: Unusual activity on your card may have triggered an alert with our 24x7 fraud monitoring as suspicious activity and we would decline the transaction and potentially temporarily block your credit or debit card for your protection. If you suspect this is the case, please don't hesitate to contact us.
For lost, stolen or fraudulent charges on Visa card: • During business hours: 800-233-2328 (M-F 7:00am-7:00pm, Sat 9am-1pm (Pacific Time) • After hours: 800-449-7728 (M-F 7:00pm-7:00am, Sat 1:00pm and all day Sun (Pacific Time)
For lost, stolen or fraudulent charges on Debit card: • During business hours: 800-233-2328 (M-F 7:00am-7:00pm Sat 9:00am-1:00pm (Pacific Time) • After hours: M-F 7:00pm-7:00am, Sat 1:00pm and all day Sun (Pacific Time) 888-241-2510 (inside US) 909-941-1398 (collect outside US)
7. Using a Found Card: If you found a card that you previously reported lost or stolen and attempted to use it, the transaction would be declined.
If you’ve gone through the checklist and still don’t know why your card was declined, please contact us and we’ll do our best to figure out what happened.